We’ve compiled a cheat sheet on everything you need to know to get perfect wedding day skin!
1. See a professional 10 to 12 months before your big day to figure out exactly what your skin needs. If you don’t routinely get facials, then find a licensed esthetician with a lot of experience and a great reputation to evaluate your skin and discuss options. Good skin therapy takes knowledge and expertise. There are definitely things you can (and should) do for maintenance at home, but ask for a little guidance because doing the wrong things can cause redness, irritation, or worse ... scarring.
2. Eat Super Foods. All skin types- oily, dry, normal or a combo— crave water and oil. Yes, healthy fats are essential for glowing skin. Avocado, almonds and oily fish are a great place to start. Snack on naturally hydrating foods like
watermelon and cucumber.
3. Avoid foods that are known to cause irritation or allergies. Dairy has been shown to cause tummy issues and breakouts as well. Spicy foods can turn skin that tends to be red into a blotchy mess that can take weeks to calm.
4. Start taking baths. Most brides forget about taking baths vs showers. Add a bath to your weekly routine and throw in bath salts with sodium bicarbonate. This will break down dry, dead skin and leave your skin glowing and supple.
5. Wear SPF on your lips too! It's easier to prevent your lips from getting chapped than it is to repair them if they're already dry and cracked from too much sun and wind or from sitting in a dry, climate-controlled office all day. Make sure you exfoliate at least once a week. You can mix raw coco butter with a little sugar to form a paste and gently scrub away dead, flaky skin. Follow up with a natural lip balm and you’ll have supple lips all year long.
6. Use product… Peels, microdermabrasion and melanin restricting home products to help greatly reduce or eliminate sun damaged spots on your face, neck, chest, arms and hands. Peels are designed to slough off dead skin and bring new, fresh skin to the surface. To make the most of these treatments, you need to book a series of peels at least six months in advance.
7. Ladies – no tan lines please. Tan lines do not photograph well, and they are a nightmare for your makeup artist to cover. Enough said.
8. Try out specialized services months in advance. Lash extensions? 3 months in advance. Dermal filler? 6 months in advance. Botox or other neuro toxins? 3 to 9 months in advance so those expression lines have time to soften.
9. Keep your hands away from your skin and don’t pick. Most people pick. I see it every day. I get at least one phone call a week from someone going into compulsive pick mode and now their skin is a wreak. Please leave it to us...we will help you and won’t cause scars in the process.
10. Find a professional that listens to your wants and needs. We are out here and truly wanting to help you achieve your best skin ever!