We’ve compiled a cheat sheet on everything you need to know to get perfect wedding day skin!
1. See a professional 10 to 12 months before your big day to figure out exactly what your skin needs. If you don’t routinely get facials, then find a licensed esthetician with a lot of experience and a great reputation to evaluate your skin and discuss options. Good skin therapy takes knowledge and expertise. There are definitely things you can (and should) do for maintenance at home, but ask for a little guidance because doing the wrong things can cause redness, irritation, or worse ... scarring.
2. Eat Super Foods. All skin types- oily, dry, normal or a combo— crave water and oil. Yes, healthy fats are essential for glowing skin. Avocado, almonds and oily fish are a great place to start. Snack on naturally hydrating foods like
watermelon and cucumber.
3. Avoid foods that are known to cause irritation or allergies. Dairy has been shown to cause tummy issues and breakouts as well. Spicy foods can turn skin that tends to be red into a blotchy mess that can take weeks to calm.
4. Start taking baths. Most brides forget about taking baths vs showers. Add a bath to your weekly routine and throw in bath salts with sodium bicarbonate. This will break down dry, dead skin and leave your skin glowing and supple.
5. Wear SPF on your lips too! It's easier to prevent your lips from getting chapped than it is to repair them if they're already dry and cracked from too much sun and wind or from sitting in a dry, climate-controlled office all day. Make sure you exfoliate at least once a week. You can mix raw coco butter with a little sugar to form a paste and gently scrub away dead, flaky skin. Follow up with a natural lip balm and you’ll have supple lips all year long.
6. Use product… Peels, microdermabrasion and melanin restricting home products to help greatly reduce or eliminate sun damaged spots on your face, neck, chest, arms and hands. Peels are designed to slough off dead skin and bring new, fresh skin to the surface. To make the most of these treatments, you need to book a series of peels at least six months in advance.
7. Ladies – no tan lines please. Tan lines do not photograph well, and they are a nightmare for your makeup artist to cover. Enough said.
8. Try out specialized services months in advance. Lash extensions? 3 months in advance. Dermal filler? 6 months in advance. Botox or other neuro toxins? 3 to 9 months in advance so those expression lines have time to soften.
9. Keep your hands away from your skin and don’t pick. Most people pick. I see it every day. I get at least one phone call a week from someone going into compulsive pick mode and now their skin is a wreak. Please leave it to us...we will help you and won’t cause scars in the process.
10. Find a professional that listens to your wants and needs. We are out here and truly wanting to help you achieve your best skin ever!
“I wasn’t in Stylist mode on my wedding day. I was relaxed, trying to enjoy the morning. Then the nerves set in! When I am working on a wedding, I am always in-the-zone, ready to make everything perfect for my bride.
I will do anything to make her stress free. For me, my maid and matron of honor made that possible.
It didn't set in that I was the bride and it was my wedding day until the photographer showed up. Then it got very real - getting in the dress was when I got emotional!"
“In terms of how I am now with my brides at work, it made me so different! It made me more sensitive to my bride's needs and their anxiety levels. I will listen to her concerns and insecurities a little more carefully. I know now it is more about their jitters and not my ability as an artist. It’s the over thinking... from family drama, to wrinkles in the dress, to things not going 100% as planned.
But hopefully as an artist and recent bride, I can give my advice and care to make her look and feel perfect on her special day!
“It's the little things that I realized mattered on your wedding day. Like having a personal touch up kit with extra things you may need.
I now appreciate those special touches we provide to our brides that make the day go that much easier.
I've always been a timely person and I realized how much it matters for our team to always run a little early. It keeps the vibe of the morning so much more calm, relaxed and stress free!
“On my wedding day, we luckily were running a little early, so when my bridal party dressed me for the day, I felt so relaxed and happy! I was so excited for my first look, which every bride should do and couldn’t wait to show my mom and dad my beautiful self!”
Vendors for Angela and John’s Wedding:
Venue: Saratoga Lake Golf Course
Church: Christ Episcopal in Ballston Spa
Hair & Makeup Artist: True Beauty Company
Dress: Sue Small
Desserts: Two Birds
Entertainment: Mark Hersh
Flowers: Dehn’s Flowers